Hello friends! It’s time for October’s first Bookmark Lit Bulletin. As you know, I don’t participate in weekly haul memes or do a lot of updating on my life each week. I developed my little newsletter here to fill you in on all of the bookish and non-bookish things that have filled my head throughout the month. The first bulletin comes out mid-month and the second bulletin comes out at the end of the month. The end-of-month version will feature my book haul! Thanks for reading xoI started my month by finally finishing Trial By Fire! It was a great book that unfortunately kept getting interrupted by other books with deadlines. My Goodreads tells me I took a month to finish it – yikes. Now that I received that surprise book mail, I’ve anxiously hoped for more! As a new blogger I was pretty surprised when it came to my apartment. I know I shouldn’t expect it too much but now I’m hoping and hoping every day when I check the mail! I’ve read five books since the beginning of the month and finished one audiobook. Overall (as you can see below), they were all pretty great! I wish I could say the same with the current book I’m listening too; Rites of Passage isn’t for me so far.
- Favorite book of the month: Dissonance! I finally read it and it was exactly what I had hoped it would be.
- Biggest let-down: I was obsessed with Liane Moriarty after finishing The Husband’s Secret, but unfortunately Big Little Lies didn’t measure up. It was an enjoyable read and I miss the characters a lot since finishing, but I predicted every single twist.
- Biggest surprise: Damsel Distressed was a really surprising book for me because I didn’t expect it to be so dark. The main character has self-esteem, depression, and self-harm issues; it was really heavy, but balanced out with funny and insightful characters. Overall it was SO much more complex and interesting than I expected!
Let’s see, this month has been pretty low-key compared to last! We had some friends come stay for the weekend, which was a lot of fun, but otherwise we’ve kind of relaxed at home. I’ve gotten TOTALLY addicted to Girls, the HBO show. Lena Dunham and everyone else on that show is so perfect. I cranked through season one in a matter of hours. We are going to NYC this weekend for Chris’s birthday! We’ll be visiting the Central Perk pop-up shop, the Lego Store, and all of the usual sights. I’m hoping next weekend we’ll be able to do some autumn activities, too. I need pumpkins, cider, and cider donuts ASAP. Football, as usual, takes up our Sundays. Luckily the Panthers are doing pretty well. They tied last week, which is super lame and basically never happens in the NFL – but hey, it was better than a loss. (Not sorry that I’ve been inserting a little too many Panthers gifs into some posts)
- Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard
- Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini
- Damsel Distressed by Kelsey Macke
- Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
- Dissonance by Erica O’Rourke
- Holiday Bingo – Between now and the end of the year, I’ll be checking off boxes on my Holiday Bingo card from Great Imaginations. Check out my page here and keep track with how well I do 😉
- Parallel Time Loop at Andi’s ABCS – I wrote a guest post about my thoughts on Just Like Fate for Andi’s October feature of Parallel Time Loop. She asked some other bloggers who enjoy parallel universe/time travel books to join in on her blog with some reviews or posts. I posted a basic review of Just Like Fate and shared my interest in parallel universe books, which stems from a couple of TV shows!
Between now and the end of the month, I have a pretty flexible reading schedule – thank god. Last month was a little too crazy with what I wanted to read, when I wanted to read, and what I HAD to read. I’m pretty wide open to read what I like! I’m slightly back in a contemporary mood after finishing Just Like the Movies (review coming soon), so I jumped into Catching Jordan on a whim. I also posted about my desire for a Reading Buddy yesterday and I reached out to two bloggers to join me! I’ll be partnering with them on reading and discussing books in lieu of a traditional review. More to come on that later 🙂
On a personal note, we’ll be heading to NYC this weekend as I mentioned! Otherwise hopefully we’ll be spending some time in our apartment and try to do a better job hanging out with friends. We’ve been recluses lately for some reason.
- Listen to The Maze Runner so we can go see the movie!
- Get going on some of the ARCs I’ve been neglecting on NetGalley.
- Read more books from my shelves and from the library! I’ve done a good job so far this month about not buying as many books. I take out way more from the library, thank goodness.
- Finish the Private series! I’m giving up on the idea of finishing this sometime soon. My goal is to just finish by the end of the year! Kind of sad to think that both Private and Pretty Little Liars will be ending for me come December. Such huge parts of my life!