Boomerang by Noelle August
Welcome to Boomerang.com, the dating site for the millennial gen with its no-fuss, no-commitments matchups, and where work is steamier than any random hook-up
Mia Galliano is an aspiring filmmaker. Ethan Vance has just played his last game as a collegiate soccer star. They’re sharp, hungry for success, and they share a secret.
Last night, Ethan and Mia met at a bar, and, well . . . one thing led to another, which led to them waking up the next morning—together. Things turned awkward in a hurry when they found themselves sharing a post hookup taxi . . . to the same place: Boomerang headquarters.
What began as a powerful connection between them is treated to a cold shower courtesy of two major complications. First, Boomerang has a strict policy against co-worker dating. And second, they’re now competitors for only one job at the end of summer.
As their internships come to an end, will they manage to keep their eyes on the future and their hands off each other, or will the pull of attraction put them right back where they started?
Review: Okay so this is EXACTLY what I want from a new adult book. This story was so funny and cute; I couldn’t get enough of it. You can tell from the cover and the description that it’s just going to be a fun, light read. I didn’t expect to find a whole lot of heavy shit in it and luckily that was true. (I read Dangerous Boys after this… maybe I should have switched the order). Like the plotline, the characters were so fun. The characters were very likable and believable. I found that they talked and acted like most people my age; it was refreshing. I related to them in so many ways. Both of them had past relationships that fucked with their heads in different ways. Mia was in a relationship where she was under-appreciated and used. (Been there) Ethan was in a long-term relationship with someone who was the wrong fit for them; eventually things got too boring and one of them cheated. (Been there, too) Aside from their relationships, the characters had so many interesting pieces to their personalities. Mia was the definition of a “cool girl” who could get along with the guys and not get too bent out of shape about the little things. She was an aspiring filmmaker who wanted to get out of her photographer mother’s shadow. Ethan was…a different story for me. I didn’t fall in love with him like I wanted to. I didn’t like him for a couple of reasons, but I also didn’t not like him – if that makes any sense. I didn’t really enjoy that all of his memories and feelings towards Mia seemed 90% sexual or appearance-based, while the other 10% focused on how actually cool she was. (He did eventually make up for this). Maybe I’m the only one who felt that way. Regardless, I loved their chemistry. The almost-touches.. the shameless flirting. You knew that this book was going to be chock-full of sexual tension. It seriously delivered. Boomerang was all about trying to resist their urges while working under the same roof and competing for the same job. Aside from the fun characters, I really enjoyed the entire concept of the book. The Boomerang company sounded like a lot of fun (minus the mean HR lady, Cookie) and I wish there was a little more work-related stuff in it. They ran some errands and worked on a presentation for a trade show, but otherwise there wasn’t too much about them actually being at work together. I thought the parts where they were forced to go on dates for “field research” for Boomerang was really funny, too. I laughed my ass off through so much of this book.
“You drink?” She makes a face like I just told her I’m a pedophile.
The dates also led to something that I somewhat wasn’t expecting. In a lot of ways, Boomerang was very predictable, but they brought in a certain person I didn’t see coming. It was one of those things where you just want to shake the MC and be like “wake up, everyone can see what you’re doing except you!” Like I said, a lot of predictability that would have bothered me in other contexts. There were so many elements of this book that just worked – primarily the humor – that took away from any small amount of negatives. For once, the parents in the book weren’t divorced and/or assholes; they were supportive and interesting. It was cool to see positive family relationships in this kind of book, because I feel like that is so few and far between now. I was expecting some cheesiness and some parts where I just rolled my eyes, but that really didn’t happen. I feel like this book would be a SUPER successful romantic comedy. I’d totally go see that. Overall, this book made me laugh. It was fun. It was carefree. It was full of sexual tension and a little bit of swooning. I definitely enjoyed it more than I expected to, and I’m so excited for the other two books in this trilogy!